You are here
Program Outcomes/Career Entry Level Competencies
The graduates of the MLS program will be able to:
- Perform the full range of clinical laboratory tests in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, microbiology, serology/immunology, coagulation/hemostasis, urinalysis, molecular, and other emerging diagnostics appropriate for entry level practice.
- Determine specimen collection, processing and testing priorities, and organize workload according to laboratory priority classifications.
- Integrate patient data for evaluation of validity of laboratory test results to include: confirm abnormal test results; correlate findings to disease processes; recognize discrepancies in patient results and quality control results and take appropriate corrective action; verify quality control procedures.
- Evaluate test systems, laboratory procedures, and equipment using basic knowledge and skills in financial, operations, marketing, and human resource management of the clinical laboratory to enable cost effective, high-quality, value-added laboratory services.
- Evaluate published laboratory studies with sufficient knowledge of research design and practice.
- Implement basic knowledge and skills in information management to enable effective, timely, accurate, and cost-effective reporting of laboratory generated information.
- Exhibit personal and professional conduct consistent with the Code of Ethics of the American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science.
- Comply with safety regulations and standard precautions and evaluate quality assurance assessments.
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and communication skills to professionally interact with patients, patients’ families, physicians and other members of the health care team.
- Demonstrate education techniques and terminology sufficient to train/educate users and providers of laboratory services.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the principles and applications of professionalism to address ongoing professional career development and performance improvement.