You are here
Medical Radiography at BCHS
Welcome to Medical Radiography:
Hello and welcome to Baptist College of Health Sciences' website for Medical Radiography. If you have ever had an x-ray, you have most likely met a Medical Radiographer, also known as a Radiologic Technologist. Radiologic Technologists are trained to be sensitive to patient's physical and psychological needs. They must pay attention to detail, follow instructions, and work as part of a team. Also, Radiologic Technologists operate highly specialized, technically advanced imaging equipment that requires mechanical ability and manual dexterity.
In addition to performing specialized procedures on patients and operating equipment, Radiologic Technologists maintain patient records. They also may prepare work schedules, evaluate equipment purchases, or possibly manage Radiology departments. More than half of all job opportunities are in hospital settings. Hospitals will remain the principle employer of Radiologic Technologists, but a greater number of new job opportunities will be found in imaging centers and physicians' offices.
At Baptist College of Health Sciences, we are very proud to say our program is only one of three baccalaureate degree programs in the state of Tennessee and the only one in Memphis. The curriculum within the Medical Radiography major not only involves Diagnostic Radiology, but also emphasizes and incorporates Computerized Tomography (CAT Scan) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) as part of didactic and clinical content. Thank you so very much for visiting our website and we sincerely hope you consider the Medical Radiography major a career choice for you.
Why BCHS may be the Medical Radiography School for You:
- Medical Radiography education has been offered by Baptist Memorial Health Care since 1956, graduating more than 1,500 students.
- We offer a bachelor's degree in health sciences (BHS) with a major in Medical Radiography that is fully accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT), the only organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Educational (USDE) to evaluate and accredit programs in radiography.
- Our medical radiography program is one of only three baccalaureate degree programs in the state of Tennessee and the only one in Memphis.
- The Medical Radiography curriculum includes a strong science foundation that will benefit the students in radiography as well as in selected specialties, such as CT and MRI.
- Radiologic technology students gain clinical experience in a laboratory environment on campus and in leading-edge hospitals and private practice facilities throughout the tri-state area of Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas, including many Baptist Healthcare locations.
- In 2008, 100% of our medical radiography graduates passed the Medical Radiography Technology certification exam on their first attempt.
Faculty & Staff of Medical Radiography
Clinical Coordinator/Assistant Professor
Mary Jo Ohrberg, M.S.,R.T.(R)
Victor N. White, MSRS, RT(R)